Monday, April 12, 2010

Movies- Julie and Julia

I told myself when I started this blog that I would give most anything a chance. Not that I wasn't interested in this movie, it just wasn't on the top of my list. Considering I love to cook and Julia Child is just about the most down to earth awesome everyperson chef there was, I had to eventually see it.

The quick review- I really loved this movie. I refuse to get all sentimental about movies, but words like "touching", "cute", and "made me smile" comes to mind. As we go through the process of switching stories between the 1940's and '50's Julia, we contend with the more modern Julie writing her blog with her challenge to blog and cook her way through Julia's book "Mastering French Cooking".
I really thought that I'd be more interested in Julia than Julie, but the movie does a find balancing act between the two. I was interested in seeing the competitive process of Julie and just when I couldn't stand anymore there was always the switch to Julia.
One of my first comments about the film was the portrayal of Julia. Having grown up watching Julia Child on PBS, I knew the high pitched voice and the friendly demeanor, but I found Streeps characterization a little onver the top. To me it seemed like Streep portraying Dan Akyroyd portraying Julia (there is a great scence of that classic SNL sketch). As I watched I became more enchanted with Streeps portrayal. It's sacrilege to say, but Streep has only ever impressed me in "Defending Your Life". I 've never been agreat fan of hers. Still, I saw nothign of Streep and so much more of Julia. Is it possble that the Academy picked the worng actress this year?
I came to realize at one late point in the movie that actually Streep was spot on with Julia...actually it has more to do with Julie's perception of Julia. This is what we are actually watching, not the real Julia (although the movie is rich in her biography and life)
This is the second movie I've seen this year that probably should have been given more consideration for Oscars.

2 comments:

  1. Watched this one last night. I am surprised- it seems you liked it more than us. We loved the Julia part, butreally could have done without Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a soft stop for Julia, and I was intrigued by Julies cooking. That "beouf bourganion" (sp)looked scrumptious (my stomach just growled thiking of it.)

    ReplyDelete