Thursday, April 15, 2010

Movie- 2012

Emmerich, Emmerich, Emmerich...Why do I know that name?? The director of 2012 was Emmerich. Watching an innocent trailer of the film, even with the sound off, you can figure it out. This is the guy who's obsessed with destroying the world over and over in his movies...the guy who gave us a prehistory less interesting than reading a human evolution text book.....the guy who gave us an Alien invasion that really didn't happen...and tried his hand at real history...with Mel Gibson (who claimed one time on a morning talk show that if you made a movie historically accurate, that would be the most boring two hours ever)

So, what can I expect from 2012?

The same as usual.

Emmerich falls into the Hollywood formula, like Cameron is doing lately. You know...big budgets, bad acting, bad story, bad script, all the money going to computerized special effects and lots of 'splosions. Look at Emmerich's Direction track record: Independence Day, 10000 BC, Day after Tomorrow, the Patriot, Godzilla, Stargate. PLEASE STOP THIS MAN AND STOP ME FROM WATCHING ANYMORE OF HIS MOVIES!!!!

Call it being a glutton for punishment- the effects are stunning. A giant wave crashing over the Himalayas is something I've never seen before- so, there was an interest in seeing this film to see if anything else was new. There was...but it wasn't too pleasant. How many times can you have a vehicle ramp off of a jutting piece of earth? Okay, so it was a limo in the first case, and an RV in the second. But how many times can you have a plane fly through crumbling buildings?

I think the originality stopped at the trailer.
Honestly, I did not expect much, but I did expect to be somewhat amused by the film. This one was drawing out so much of the story, that I found myself making the snarky sarcastic comments and predicting who was going to die soon- that was way easier than I thought. Subtlety is not Emmerich's strong point.

The acting? Well, I want to say "What acting?" But at least John Cusak can always be relied upon. The saddest thing I thought was, "How bad have things got in Hollywood that John Cusak- a decent actor in my opinion- ended up in this movie?" Amanda Peet I can leave behind. Oliver Platt always plays a good part. Unfortunately, the script only allowed for cartoon versions of people. I felt nothing for most of the characters and the simplicity became nauseating after a while.

Did I expect too much from this film? Maybe. But I also expected to be somewhat entertained. Given Emmerich's track record with me, I didn't expect the best movie, but I at least wanted to see something interesting and entertaining.
Combine the script, direction, acting, and outlandish stunts and you have a pretty bad movie.

I'm not really that surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment