Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie- the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

I have to preface this review with a warning....I am very partial to Terry Gilliam films. The man has not made a bad film. Watching the documentary "Lost in La Manch" about his ill-fated quest to bring to the screen the story of Don Quixote and you will see the trouble, the dedication, and hard work that a true director brings to film.

"Parnassus" has the Gilliam touch at its best. Visually appealing and beyond surreal-the landscapes the characters explore ask for the audience to wonder about the psychological make up of even minor characters.
I suggest watching the introduction by Gilliam to fully understand what he wanted from the film. Fans of his previous films will understand the subtle and "not so subtle" touches and revisiting of Gilliam's filmograpahy.

The story is not completely original. The theme of the deal with the devil has been done in literature and film several times. The competition between Parnassus and the Devil borders on "a friendly wager" as the Devil seems at times to enjoy the company of the good Dr. and I think secretly would like to see him win the wager. Of course we want Parnassus to win, but the casting of Tom Waites as the Devil is simply cunning, suave, and so brilliant that I found myself sucked into his charm. I'd certainly lose my soul.

Christopher Plummer plays Parnassus. My first experience with Plummer was in the movie "Waterloo", with him playing Lord Wellington. A great portrayal, by the way. Since then, I have always kept my ear out for movies where he stars; he never disappoints. His portrayal of Dr. Parnassus, the 1000 year old man who has wagered souls against the devil for the sake of his 16 year old daughter, pits imagination against realism- a common Gilliam theme. Plummer is a vehicle to the rest of the characters. An experienced actor with a story that only gives us just enough information to keep the story moving.

You need to listen and watch closely to the story. I found some of it hard to follow at times. But there was certainly enough on the screen to keep me interested.

Sadly, this was Heath Ledger's last movie, and I wondered how Gilliam could continue without Ledger's performance. The wonderful thing about Gilliam's movies is that most anything can be explained by the magical and fantastic nature of the story. I liked how the addition of Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell blended into the story and even they seem surprised by their transformation; an amusing and fun aspect of the movie that I would like a second look at to ponder more.
Ledger's character is a mystery to the other's, found hanging underneath a bridge and left for dead, he soon is welcomed to the traveling Imaginarium troupe and works to bring the show into the modern era.

Rich characters, rich costuming, and a great use of imagination; the driving theme of the movie. A little slow on the story, but a nice tribute and ending to Ledger's excellent career.

Heath, we'll miss you

No comments:

Post a Comment